Read Starlight Over Detrot with me.

The story is about.

Monster attacks. Crime. Illegal hallucinogens made from electric fruit.

They say things didn't use to be like this. They say things were different, before Luna came back 60 years ago, but Detective Hard "Hardy" Boiled of the Detrot Police Department has never known any world other than that demarcated by the seedy streets of his beloved decaying metropolis; a world in which the coroners sing and dance, surveillance bugs have personality disorders, and the Chief of Police is a scarier entity than most of the eldritch things the city attracts.

The grey unicorn who turned up dead outside the posh High Step Hotel seemed like just another case, but her missing horn is the pointy tip of a very large and nasty iceberg. It's up to Hardy and his friends - a rejected monster hunter, a psychic cab driver, and an underground antiques heir - to find out what’s going on in an investigation that promises to stick more than a cupcake into the very eye of Detrot.

Especially if Hardy has anything to say about it.

Additional editing by coandco Sig_Awesome, Hinds, Clint, and Raccoon!
Featured on EQD - 5 Stars!
Cover art by MisterMech (http://mistermech.deviantart.com/)
Now with TVTropes page here! (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/StarlightOverDetrot)

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Act One, Chapter 1: Welcome To Detrot

 Chapter 1: - Published November 4th 2012 was on a Sunday and was in week 44 of 2012.

As of this writing it was 3,067 days ago. ... 3068, the clock struck midnight while I was writing because I allowed myself to go out to eat 


The first thing that pops up is Hockham’s Razor. Which googling, because for some reason Ender's Game comes to mind leads me to Occam’s Razor, which I'm just going to say I'm currently to dumb to try to figure out how it applies... Feel free to explain the comment section below.

Returning influence over the moon to her sister after the events of a thousand years ago and the prodigal’s eventual return seemed like giving keys to a liquor store to a recovering alcoholic.

I'd give Hardy keys to a liquor store is the first thing that comes to mind. That being said, this is a really good point to make.  How much trust Celestia shows in her sister is heart warming. I love it when people get a second chance. People deserve second chances.  Sometimes third and fourth ones too, depending on the reason. But anybody who knows Friendship is Magic, Luna takes her second chance and proves she deserves it.

Wait! A voice, softer than a whisper seemed to direct my attention.

Far away, almost at the edge of vision, a glowing light came to life on the horizon. It seemed to waver, then solidify, like a reflection in a disturbed pond. It wasn’t a kindly light, but harsh and angry. It glared down on my city with devilish intent. After a few seconds a second gleaming nova appeared at the other end of the sky, then another, and another, until four flashing stars hung in the heavens.

Who was the voice? And four angry stars huh?

And then he is filled with fear as an eclispe happens.  A really creepy eclipse. 

Noooo... freaking hate ringing phones make it stop.

“You awake now?” resumed the voice, with only a hint of smugness.

Well I am... *shiver*

“The blue round ones or the purple star ones?”

Oohh makes you wonder what they do.

Read my ass. I’m a cop.

Ha! 

Actually the story of Hardy's cutie mark comes much later.

Dear Celestia's sweet tail, 

Aww... This is the one thing I like FoE better.  It has more creative swearing.

You’d never catch me in the office without a tie, for example, even if that’s only because I find it useful to know whose eyes happen to stray to it as they fantasize about choking the life out of me

HAHAHAHHA. As you read this, you will understand more.

She was engraved along the barrel, “To Hard Boiled, with love.” That's Hard Boiled Senior, by the way; He’d tried to give me wisdom, patience, and a sense of responsibility along with his name. In the end, I think I was most grateful to him for that gun.

Hardy is a cop... so sense of responsiblity was something that got passed down.

I'd never needed to adjust them

Special gun?

At some point, my father had her converted to fire standard .45 bullets rather than... whatever she was built for. Magic ammunition was notorious for its lack of standardization. Switching it to brass and lead must have cost him two left legs, but it was worth it.

Oh, if you only knew.

 Protector. Savior of the weak. Damned idiot with a badge.

:D

Foals could still play on my street. You could still eat at the corner restaurants without having to pick lead out of your hay. The old buildings didn't precisely sag so much as they slumped against one another, like old friends out for a night on the town who've had one too many.

This honestly sounds like a nice place.

‘Love Thy Neighbor, Even If You Want to Set Fire To Him’

This sounds like something worth living by.

Nopony ever really nailed down her Special Talent, but whatever it was, it made her a brilliant investigator. It was a sad day when she left the force, but after what happened to her cutie marks, even I wasn’t thick enough to ask her to stay.

We do find out answers to this in later chapters.

her ears perked and she rent the quiet asunder with a voice full of far too much early morning cheer. “Okay, I lied. What’s in your head? Come on, Hardy... Tellmetellmetellme!”

:D

“...I had that dream again.”

“Is that the one where the stripper comes out of the cupcake and it’s your mother?”

 “What? No!”

 “Oh! Was it the one where you’re wearing a pretty pink dress to meet Celestia at court?”

Are these dreams he's actually had? I should ask Chessie, but its head cannon.

You need a vacation.

You want a repeat?

It wasn't that bad.

“I spent the weekend in a holding cell! Some checker headed pony who shall go unnamed slipped me a mickey in the hotel bar and I ended up with my rental car parked in the town fountain, pissing off the top of it onto a statue of Princess Celestia.”

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

 Welcome back to our show at the top of the hour as we give you noteworthy events, and the fairest, most balanced broadcast on the air!

Why don't I trust that?

Skipping down to when Astral talks. The first time I read this I kind of just. Meh. But this is my second read through, and I've watched up to Season 9 epi 4 of Friendship is Magic, her whole monologue has a totally different meaning to me. Though I was very grateful Hardy had it turned off my first read through. 

Hardy and Taxi have a talk about religon and I pretty much side with Taxi's views.

Oh hey look, the chapter ended. Lets have a peek at the comments.  Only 35 of them 


#22 · May 8th, 2018 ·  ·  · Chessie

Oh, this is going to be good. I feel like I share more in common with Hardy than is healthy.



#14 · Feb 24th, 2016 ·  ·  ·

I keep reading Hardy's lines in Nick Valentine's voice.


#8 · Mar 28th, 2014 ·  ·  ·


 I'm not putting Sig's novel of the comment here, but its def worth reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Arty

 Act 2, Chapter 7: Executor of the Estate