Read Starlight Over Detrot with me.

The story is about.

Monster attacks. Crime. Illegal hallucinogens made from electric fruit.

They say things didn't use to be like this. They say things were different, before Luna came back 60 years ago, but Detective Hard "Hardy" Boiled of the Detrot Police Department has never known any world other than that demarcated by the seedy streets of his beloved decaying metropolis; a world in which the coroners sing and dance, surveillance bugs have personality disorders, and the Chief of Police is a scarier entity than most of the eldritch things the city attracts.

The grey unicorn who turned up dead outside the posh High Step Hotel seemed like just another case, but her missing horn is the pointy tip of a very large and nasty iceberg. It's up to Hardy and his friends - a rejected monster hunter, a psychic cab driver, and an underground antiques heir - to find out what’s going on in an investigation that promises to stick more than a cupcake into the very eye of Detrot.

Especially if Hardy has anything to say about it.

Additional editing by coandco Sig_Awesome, Hinds, Clint, and Raccoon!
Featured on EQD - 5 Stars!
Cover art by MisterMech (http://mistermech.deviantart.com/)
Now with TVTropes page here! (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Fanfic/StarlightOverDetrot)

Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Act 2, Chapter 5: Home, Home on the Mange

Chapter 27: Published July 29th 2013 was on a Monday and was in week 31 of 2013.

As of this writing it was 2827 days ago

MLP FiM would air Season 9 epi 5 "The Point of No Return" on April 27th 2019

Still others have been known to write to the Princesses for assistance in the matter, but the Princesses have been known to delegate this responsibility to potentially uninterested subordinates, as a certain Mr. Pfft Whatever will attest.

Rainbow Dash?

“We be here!” Wisteria turned down a short pathway between two buildings, shoving open a rusting gate. Behind it, a short walk overgrown with weeds led up to a metal reinforced door with a series of heavy-duty locks. Somepony with a sense of humor and a detail brush had painted on a few extra locks just for good measure.

During the drills, a siren would sound all up and down the street and everypony in the house had to climb down into the basement, seal the doors shut, and shut down all arcano-electric or gem based power to the building. I remember once, during one of those drills, I’d brought down a shadow projector with a gem inside it. My father was furious, although ‘furious’ means different things to different ponies. In the case of Hard Boiled Senior, it meant a trip to a veteran’s home. For the next month, every one of my weekends I spent reading stories and sitting with ponies who’d lost limbs to dragon fire.

This has to be the most brilliant 'punishment' ever.  

Okay, I like how Taxi immediately is at home, and Hardy plays housewife and starts cleaning. Really cant wait to see Swift's reaction and to find out her name... I don't remember it. Hmm. 

“I don’t see why couldn’t I have the pigeon... I caught it!”

“Because... just... ugh, Hardy, help me here!”

“Hey, she wants to eat the pigeon, I say she can eat the pigeon so long as I don’t have to watch.”

In case you are wondering, Swift doesn't get a name until MUCH later.  

Oh hey look, the chapter ended. Lets have a peek at the comments, 49

#47 · Mar 5th, 2020 ·  ·  · Chessie

Well, everything, really. At least for ponykind. Names and Special Talents are delicately intertwined, but not in a very straightforward fashion.

Scootertrix Spike: “name your kid Curer-Of-The-Ponypox.”

“De name dey give ye be...‘Cru-sa-der’.”

I find myself wondering what exactly the CMC did and how terribly it has affected the entire world.

“Sure... Go tell the Princesses that you got your brain magicked to turn you into a murderer. Just roll that one around your tongue for a minute. ‘My mind was enchanted by a city-wide conspiracy to do... something.’” I got up and started down the stairs, leaving her sitting there.

Something tells me that, further down the line, they’re gonna wish they went to the Princesses.

“Hey, she wants to eat the pigeon, I say she can eat the pigeon so long as I don’t have to watch.”

I’m just thinking “ugh, that’s dirty flying rat meat. Get something tastier.”

-GM, master of blank spaces.

#48 · Mar 5th, 2020 ·  ·  ·

GMBlackjack
I cannot wait for your reactions to later oncoming events.

-Chessie


#45 · Apr 29th, 2019 ·  ·  · Chessie

as a certain Mr. Pfft Whatever will attest.

This is a few months too early to be a reference to Daemon McRae's Schadenfreude, but I don't care!:pinkiehappy::yay:

#46 · Apr 29th, 2019 ·  ·  ·

dshadow14
Daemon McRae actually wrote a Starlight Over Detrot side-fic, if you can believe it.

-Chessie


#43 · Apr 19th, 2018 ·  ·  · Chessie

hook beside them th a dream-catcher

I'm assuming this was meant to be "with".

from that stone , he might

Extra space before the comma.

I'm starting to get really curious about what actually went down during the Cutie Mark Crusades -- what caused them, and where the name came from. I'm also starting to wonder who this Scholar is. The most I get from their little intro is that they're probably not a pony or a griffon. Beyond that, I got nothing. Are they a canon character, by any chance?

#44 · Apr 19th, 2018 ·  ·  ·

Frustration in Excelsis

The Scholar is Applejack.

-Chessie

*sputters*

#40 · Aug 17th, 2014 ·  ·  ·

Shake the mountain, the voice said.
Makes me think of this song.

#39 · Jul 16th, 2014 ·  ·  ·

Act 2, Chapter 5: "Home, Home on the Mange" - Where the dogs run and get mites...


#38 · Apr 23rd, 2014 ·  ·  ·

Not sure how I skipped this chapter. Certainly explains why I was so confused in chapter 28...

Still others have been known to write to the Princesses for assistance in the matter, but the Princesses have been known to delegate this responsibility to potentially uninterested subordinates, as a certain Mr. Pfft Whatever will attest.

This problem was quickly eliminated once the Equestrian Census Bureau switched an automated arcano-technic name generator. However, that created a whole new set of problems.

Being a new and unproven technology, the system initially had some teething issues. In one incident approximately 147 pegasi across Cloudsdale and Los Pegasus were christened "«INSERT NAME HERE»" after an intern failed to update a mail-merge form. Another incident had every foal born on 1 May named "Your 30-day trial of Flim & Flam's Nuanced Newborn Namer Network has expired" .

Malicious/mischievous ponies have even experimented with arcano-technic hexes and fragments in a calculated attempt to weave a spell into their name. See the infamous "Bubble Mist '); BUCK TABLE Equus;--" Civil Service Shutdown, and the "Snowdrop Y’AI’NG’NGAH YOG-SOTHOTH " Reality Incursion Crisis.

The Equestrian Census Bureau now keeps and maintains a downright Byzantine collection of rules, regulations, blacklists, and exceptions for judging new name applications after a certain "ʎʌɹnʇ ʎsdoʇ " and "The Pony Formerly Known as  " successfully sued the ECB to keep their respective names.

Granted, I ended up something that I think translates to ‘She Who Hikes Her Tail,’ but it’s just a formality.”

Somewhere on the savannah, 5 zony foals criy themselves to sleep every night, wondering again where their mummy went... :fluttercry:

Swift returned an hour after she’d left, panting, armed, and holding a dead pigeon in her teeth as she stood on the top of the stairs.

Pigeons are dirty, nasty, vermin of a bird. If Carni-Swift does not watch what she eats, she will either end up nibbling on one of the Aroyo wards, or becoming the first pony to become infected with trichinellosis.

yes I posted a full Siggy comment... Whatever, its my blog. 

#36 · Sep 21st, 2013 ·  ·  ·

Still others have been known to write to the Princesses for assistance in the matter, but the Princesses have been known to delegate this responsibility to potentially uninterested subordinates, as a certain Mr. Pfft Whatever will attest.

:rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

Okay... I'm my head it's Rainbow Dash who named him... So this is even funnier to me.

#28 · Jul 31st, 2013 ·  ·  · Chessie

I've just recently picked up this story, and... hot damn, I've been on a four-day reading marathon going through the story from start to where it's at now, and I haven't been able to put it aside. It's just that good.

Everything from the vivid atmosphere and setting to the incredible worldbuilding and amazing/hilarious/outrageous characters is captivating. The mixture of suspense, mystery, drama, black comedy and gallows humour along with some downright eerie and creepy moments is wonderfully balanced. The fact that the story is nearing 300k words and showing no signs of slowing down warms my word-loving heart, too.

Awesome piece of work. I can't wait for the next chapter to go up.

#29 · Jul 31st, 2013 ·  ·  ·

Squinty Mudmane Awww, thanks! I was thinking of maybe taking a break today to go play some video-games, but you know what? No, I've got a chapter to write! Thank you!

-Chessie

#25 · Jul 30th, 2013 ·  ·  ·

Chessie Maybe they need some spa treatment or something?

Oh oh I know, they go to a spa then the Spa explodes!

With tons and tons of glitter because it's a welcome back to the land of the living Hardy party!

#24 · Jul 30th, 2013 ·  ·  · nemryn

nemryn ProfCharles PocoMeesh...are you guys REALLY comparing us to the top shelf of fantasy detective stuff?

-Chessie

eyup

#18 · Jul 30th, 2013 ·  ·  ·

Jolot I know right! She's so like a cute kitty trying to make her owners proud. “I don’t see why couldn’t I have the pigeon... I caught it!”. So cute! :scootangel:

Redbush You make a good point, she should probably cook the pigeon first. Although that would fill their bunker with the smell of cooked meat, I don't think the others would like that much, but if she did it outsie the Aroyo's would see her doing it. I wonder what they would think of a pegasus cooking a pigeon and eating it, they probably wouldn't mind actually they respect freedom, so they'd be probably just shrug it off and let her do her thing.

Just get her an outdoor grill :D

#16 · Jul 30th, 2013 ·  ·  · Chessiemeerkat8472

Still, it does happen that names and talents mismatch. Ponies can and have had themselves legally renamed when the irony of being an sky-chariot pilot named Terminal Velocity gets to be too much.

taw
:rainbowlaugh:

Stella might have exhibited some brilliant paranoia, but he was an Equestria Games welcoming committee compared to the Aroyos.

Eesh don't remind me of that episode, I can't fathom why they chose the mane six as a committee. I mean ugh.
Anyhoo this is an apt comparison

So I like the Aroyos a little bit more now, Wisteria seems to have the matronly thing going on. Which is plausible although

Season 4, ep 24, Aired May 3rd 2014
Wait, that is after this comment ... Hmm... hold on.

Okay, I bet this is "Just for Sidekicks" and "Games Ponies Play" aired on jan 26 and feb 9th of 2013.  Season 3, epi 11 and 12. 

there is more to the comment... go read.

#20 · Jul 30th, 2013 ·  ·  ·

Applejinx

#13 · Jul 29th, 2013 ·  ·  · Chessie

Chessie
That's what makes this sort of thing so magical :rainbowlaugh:
I REALLY liked Hardy's advice about 'whatever remained of Swift's friend might have held his fire, saving her life and perhaps, his soul'. I'm sure that helped Swift at least a tiny bit.

I wondered if anyone would catch that. This whole chapter was a little weird, but it'll all be revealed, given some time. Don't worry, we HAVE, weirdly enough, got most of this planned out. It's just ridiculously convoluted.

-Chessie

How did that not get put over here...

#15 · Jul 29th, 2013 ·  ·  · meerkat8472

meerkat8472 meerkat you aren't alone in thinking it was cute. the scene where she first showed up with the pigeon kinda reminded me of a cat bringing something it caught to it's owners feet. sure the dead thing at your feet is gross but the look on the cat's face so adorable cause its so proud of it's accomplishment. ok if we're going to get a picture out of this scene i want it to be Swift-kitty with the pigeon. and yes the swift kitty has to have the wings. wait this might not be a smart move. combining the cuteness of Swift with the cuteness of a kitty might be too much. we may reach filly fluttershy with a milkshake levels of cuteness here

#12 · Jul 29th, 2013 ·  ·  ·

Chessie

meerkat8472

#10 · Jul 29th, 2013 ·  ·  · JolotChessie

Chessie

#9 · Jul 29th, 2013 ·  ·  · meerkat8472

meerkat8472

#8 · Jul 29th, 2013 ·  ·  · Chessie

Awww, Swifty caught a pigeon, good on her. Can't you just imagine her holding holding the little thing in her front hooves and nibbling away, that'd be so cute!!! :scootangel:

Siiigh... that's going to end up a piece of fan art. Give it a week and somebody is going to draw that, just to make me a little disturbed.

-Chessie

What's disturbing? It'd be awesome. Picture it, Swift it hunched over holding the thing, wrapping her wings around herself so the others don't have to watch,(and to protect herself why she eats) mumbling to herself 'my pigeon'. Don't you just want to hug her? :scootangel:

...Wait, that is a little disturbing isn't it... Okay I'm weird, I just love Swifty!

Chyeah... heesh! This is going to be one of those weeks where I dread my inbox. Really, when we originally wrote her, I had no idea she'd end up either so CUTE or so messed up.

-Chessie

Well I think right now she's cute and messed up. I do really feel bad for her though, she got a lot more inner pain to deal with now. Like I said before though, whoever brainwashed Grape Shot is going to be on the recieving end of a furious Swift. I don't envy them.


Yup, not even going to make that smaller!

#6 · Jul 29th, 2013 ·  ·  ·

In a world where magic is real, I think I might get to the point where very little would surprise me anymore. That part with the ancestors was weird, though.

(She who hikes her tail :rainbowlaugh:)

#7 · Jul 29th, 2013 ·  ·  ·

Every time I get the email that tells me Starlight Over Detrot has updated I get a bit of a chill, for I know that my curiosity will be tempted and tormented.
Every answer only leads to more questions and a desire to comb through the entire fic to see if I can find something.
Keep up the good work.

#5 · Jul 29th, 2013 ·  ·  · Puzzle Reader

Go read

#1 · Jul 29th, 2013 ·  ·  ·

Down, down the rabbit holes they go...then again, I've always been a fan of urban fantasy, this one included. :)

Dresden has his Chicago, and Hardy has a very, very interesting backstory's worth (mountain-sized) with Detrot.

2938477 You know, that's the series I get compared with the most? I watched the Dresden Files show on Netflix a few years ago. I guess mixing 'high fantasy' with 'detective noir' does sort of point in that direction.

-Chessie

1851 Annibale de Gasparis discovers asteroid 15 Eunomia

  • Today's Asteroid 15 Eunomia rise, transit and set times from nw USA are the following (all times relative to the local timezone America/Los_Angeles): 
  • RISE11:56
  • Max altitude: 56.0°TRANSIT19:01
  • Azimuth: 284.0°SET2:04
  • The rise and set times are defined as the time at which the upper limb of Asteroid 15 Eunomia touches the horizon, considering the effect of the atmospheric refraction. As the atmospheric conditions cannot be modeled precisely the times reported here should be considered correct with an approximation of few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arty

 Act 2, Chapter 7: Executor of the Estate